TIPS FOR REVISING & EDITING ESSAYS.
Simple Steps to Writing, Revising and Editing an essay
Good editing or proofreading skills are just as important to the success of an essay, paper or thesis as good writing skills. The editing stage is a chance to strengthen your arguments with a slightly more objective eye than while you are in the middle of writing.
Indeed, editing can turn a good essay or paper into a brilliant one, by paying close attention to the overall structure and the logical flow of an argument. Here we will offer some tips on how to edit a paper or an essay.
Tips for editing a paper or essay:
1. Read over other things you have written, to see if you can identify a pattern in your writing, such as problematic punctuation, or repeated use of the same adjectives.
2. Take a break between the writing and editing.
3. Read by sliding a blank page down your lines of writing, so you see one line at a time. Even in editing or proofreading, it is easy to miss things and make mistakes.
4. Read the paper out loud to get a sense of the punctuation, and make any changes to parts that feel unnatural to read.
5. Allow someone else to read over your paper, fresh eyes can see things you will not see.
See Chapter 4, “Revising and Editing
Essay writing is process of writing usually comprises of introduction, main body and conclusion on some specific topic. Essay writing is a skillful task. It needs full attention and skill of writer. Good essay should always be revised once it is written. Essay should be written in critical and logical way with proper argumentation in order to support the stance that you have taken in your essay topic. Essay writing is a task that every student has to learn during their academic career. Good essay writing involves critical thinking. Critical thinking can be improved through experience and practice. The essay students learn to write in lower grades are quite easier in their form but the essays that students of higher grades need to write must be comprehensive and logically correct. Students think essay writing is a difficult task. Usually students fail to make a convincing thesis statement about which they have to present some logical evidence as well later on.
The Editing and Rewriting Process
This statement, as short and simple as it may sound, was the underlying theme from this week’s readings, whether it entails mini-lessons on fiction, constant feedback and revision, or offering positive praise on students’ writing.